Monday, December 1, 2014

November 2014 Favorites & Fails

Hello, birthday month. Goodbye, birthday month. With the end of November, another year passes, and I am 28 years-old.

I cried, I laughed, I drank wine, and I am onto the future. I love growing older, but I just hate knowing the time that has passed without being around my loved ones. Maybe one day we will all be on the same coast once again. Traveling is difficult for my little family as I hate road trips and my husband hates flying. Thus the reason we never travel home, and we can't just leave our dogs with anyone, so we haven't been back to visit family in years.

Not that anyone reads this blog to know about me, so I will move on from that, and start discussing my monthly favorites.

This November was surrounded by new products from the Sephora VIB sale (I just heard there is a gift card x off $50 or such, which will be sent to all members. The discount varies based on your member status). The sale for me was a major flop, even though I did buy a bunch of products, I was underwhelmed by it all, and sent a bunch back I never opened. There hasn't been any high-end products lately that have just 'knocked my socks off' and made me excited.

That being said, drugstore products have 'knocked my socks' off lately, and that is half of this month's favorites - drugstore. I don't have any skincare favorites to add this month, most of my favorites are still favorites, but I am trying out two new lines soon. Sibu Beauty and Colleen Rothschild. I have three products coming in from Sibu Beauty and I am trying out the Discovery Kit from Colleen Rothschild.



Here are my favorite products for the month of November.

1). ELF HD Blush in Headline and the ELF Small Stipple Brush ($3 each).

I picked this up on a whim at Target, after hearing EmilyNoel83 talk about the brush in a video. I knew from a previous video of hers, that this worked great with cream blushes. I decided to pick this color up, as it looked to be a perfect pale, neutral pink, which I thought would look great on my fair skin-tone. Not only did it look great, but it lasted all day, too. It gives a perfect flush to my cheeks and you only need a tiny amount to get great color.  For $3, I am going to pick up more shades of this product.

The 'Small Stipple Brush' was great to blend out the product and there were no lines or streaking.

2).  The Real Techniques Blush Brush ($8.99)

Amazing, Just amazing. This brush has quickly turned into one of my favorite brushes in my collection. I was tempted to get the Bobbi Brown Blush Brush during the VIB sale, but couldn't stomach the $52 price tag, even with the discount. I decided to pick this up while I was at Ulta one day and I can now say I am THRILLED I picked this up. It is effortless, picks up just the right amount of product, blends easily, it is soft on the face, and my blush looks better.

I have a few high-end blush brushes, but this one out shines them all. I want to buy another one to use for bronzer or powder. It is the perfect shape to use in a variety of ways on your face.

3). Pixi Flawless & Poreless Primer  &  Redness Reducing Primer (Deluxe sample size $9.00)

While browsing products at Target, I started to give the Pixi section of products a closer look. I found many products I wanted to try, but picked up this due to the reduced size and price. I love being able to buy smaller sizes of products to test out, before I buy the full-size.

Both products have earned a spot on my favorites. 1). For being almost a dupe for my Smashbox light primer 2). The other for working great at reducing redness. I think they are both great primers for the drugstore and are well worth giving a try if you're needing a new primer.

*The Flawless & Poreless primer contains Salicylic Acid - which I love!

4). MAC Pro Longwear Concealer - Shade NC15

I have to admit, when I first got the product a few months ago, I didn't like it. Then as I did more research and learned to work with it better, I saw the reason why this is so hyped up. When applied, it is thin formula, almost a hair away from being runny, but you can spread this easily over your skin. I apply this with my finger tip, under my eye in a upside-down triangle. I take my damp Beauty Blender, and tap it into my skin. It quickly melts into your skin, doesn't look heavy, and it doesn't feel heavy. Your under eyes look concealed, not heavy or cakey, and it looks like beautiful skin. I will even use this to highlight other areas of my fave, too.

My only issue with this is the packaging. The pump (if pushed down all the way) pumps out too much product at a time, and you have to carefully only push it half-way down. The other issue is it is a glass container, which means it isn't travel friendly.

5). Benefit 'They're Real' Mascara - Deluxe Sample

Again, another product I didn't like at first, but now I love it. I have a sample from who knows where, and I have enjoyed the way my lashes look with this. It holds a curl and my lashes look bigger than before. I especially love how long-wearing it is, but easy to wash off at the end of the day.

I won't be purchasing a full-size now, but will consider it when I finish with the other mascara I own.

6). Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation -FAIL

I wanted to love this. I thought it looked great on my skin. It was so soft, but then I realized what it had in it. Bismuth Oxychloride. Which is the same reason I stopped using Bare Minerals foundation. If you have sensitive or reactive skin, that is an ingredient you want to avoid.

I didn't realize this had it (yes, I should have looked) and couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I was getting random breakouts. I had been acne free for almost four months and then poof, little things started to pop up.

Plus, for the money, you would think it would come in a case. Nope. The case is sold separately. It comes in a plastic sleeve. Yuck!


What have you loved for the month of November?

Any fails?

2 comments:

  1. Loved the honest feedback, great post.
    The blush shade is pretty.

    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know (:

    123danielle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I Like your blog and your style of writing! Also I’d like to say that you have beautiful photos! Great job! I know that it requires so much time to update blog, but keep doing it!)
    I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete