Monday, May 20, 2013

Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Foundation - Review/Swatch



What: Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Foundation
Shade: 1.1
Where: Sephora, Ulta, Birchbox and anywhere Smashbox is sold
Price: $42.00
Type: Longwear, hydrating, oil-free foundation
Coverage: Medium to Full
Does not contain: Parabens
Details: I purchased this product months ago from Birchbox, I used some of my points and I paid for the difference (I think $22).

Lets start off with the specifics of the foundation, as per Sephora's product description, it states:
“Long-wearing, hydrating formula blurs imperfections using light-diffusing, encapsulated pigment spheres, and delivers natural-looking, buildable medium-to-full coverage. Its sweat-free, transfer-proof, humidity-resistant formula keeps skin hydrated and shine-free all day.”

Well, that is a lot of claims to make for just a foundation, but I am just going to list what I like and don’t like.

One pump on the back of my hand, shade 1.1

What I Like

- Comes in a pump; any foundation that comes with a pump automatically gets an extra point.

- Application is easy, product blends in easily with little effort and it does not oxidize on me. I use the Real Techniques Expert Face brush and the Beauty Blender; they both work with this product.

- It covers redness, minor imperfections, does not make fine lines stand out, does not settle into pores and does blur imperfections on your face.

- It will not cover everything 100% (hyperpigmentation, acne, etc), but this is okay for me. If it is not for you, use a good concealer on those spots and you will look fine. Foundations are supposed to even your skin tone and concealers are supposed to conceal imperfections. Personally, I don’t care about cover minor flaws with my skin, because I would rather have a little something not right, than have a spot, caked with product. It will end up looking terrible and it will draw more attention to that blemish.

- Wears great all day long, even in the heat it will stay on (I have worn it in 100 degree temps). I can’t say much about humidity (hello desert), but I have not had issues with it staying on. Yes, I need to blot, but that is the case with everything.

- Good coverage, light on the skin and does not make your face look flat. Some foundation just make you look flat, so you add bronzer, blush etc, but this leaves you with the glow/dimension. I could very well where this, mascara and gloss (if I wanted to).

Blended in

What I Don’t Like

- It is in a glass bottle, so if I drop it the product is gone and it is not so easy to travel with. I would LOVE it if they put this in a plastic bottle or a squeeze tube like the Smashbox BB cream.

- They only have 12 shades; I think they need to add more shades to the line.

- It is a little pricey ($42).


Overall 

I do like this foundation, I love the way my skin looks and how great it stays on during the day. This is a great foundation for someone who at the end of the day, looks in the mirror and thinks that their skin looks dry This will not moisturize your skin, but it won’t dry out your skin – do you get what I mean?

Would I re-purchase it? Well, I have more than half a bottle left to go, I will be wearing it this Summer and after that, I might pick it up again. I have different foundations for different reasons, this has a place in my collection and it looks to be almost permanent.

If you do want to try this, I HIGHLY recommend you get a sample or go check out the colors first.


Ingredients
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Silica, Phenyl Trimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Phenyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Silylate, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), ILN37941.

1 comment:

  1. What other foundations do you match? I really want to get this in 1.1 but I'm not sure if it's pale enough. I'm NW10 in MAC and i can weark Naked skin 0.5, Too faced born this way in snow etc. Do you think it would match me?

    ReplyDelete