Monday, March 4, 2013

Week 1 - Proactiv +


As you may know from my previous blog posts, I suffer from hormonal acne and I almost always go half the month with something on my face. It comes in waves of small lumps to full on cystic lumps. I have seem two Dermatologists, both prescribed treatments that were worse than the acne, so I am back to trying to fix it myself. I won’t go into details, but honestly, I cannot keep paying to go to the doctors and paying for prescriptions that do not work.

I have tried different vitamins, cutting out dairy, cutting out this and that, but nothing has worked. I don’t feel like I am ever going to be free of acne, but my goal is to control it better.


I did find that using Extra Virgin Olive Oil has helped my acne, my complexion and overall dryness. However, it doesn’t help when my hormones go crazy and the explosion happens on my face. I got desperate about over two weeks ago, I went to order Proactiv again, and noticed they came out with a new version called Proactiv +.

Reading through the program description on Proactiv's website, it states:
“Exclusive encapsulated benzoyl peroxide with Smart Target technology is designed to guide acne medicine off the skin’s surface – to help minimize dryness and irritation - - and deliver it with laser-like precision directly into pores, the target site for killing acne-causing bacteria.”

“Each step in Proactiv + contains hydrating skincare ingredients formulated to attract, lock-in and help sustain healthy levels of moisture in your skin.”

The added hydration to minimize dryness was a big selling point to me and ordered it right away. I figure if it doesn’t work, I have 60 days to return it for a full refund, and have nothing to lose testing it out.

I received it last Tuesday and have been using it for almost a week. I have not noticed any dryness or no new acne. The real test will be in the next few weeks and then I will know if it is working. I am not expecting miracles; I am expecting a difference. I have no acne on my face right now, as I said, it goes away, but it comes right back due to my hormones.

I am still using my Olive Oil every night as a moisturizer because it does work and it makes my skin look great. I am just sharing this because I am going to try and update how this is working or not working for me. 

2 comments:

  1. If proactive doesn't work for you, have you tried mixing brown surgar with olive oil or coconut oil? It is what I use, it works wonders for me.... and tastes good.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suffered from hormonal acne too and I found that Proactiv was too harsh for my face. I have used the Tee Tree Oil acne kit from The Body Shoppe with great results. I really love the blemish fade nighttime lotion.

    ReplyDelete